Bharat Matā (Hindi, from Sanskrit Bhāratāmbā भारताम्बा; अम्बा ambā means ‘mother’) is the national personification of India as a mother goddess. She is an amalgam of all the goddesses of Indian culture and more significantly of goddess Durga. She is usually depicted as a woman clad in a saffron sari holding the Indian national flag, and sometimes accompanied by a lion.
The image of Bhāratmātā formed with the Indian independence movement of the late 19th century. A play by Kiran Chandra Bannerjee, Bhārat Mātā, was first performed in 1873. The play set in 1770 Bengal famine depicted a woman and her husband who went to forest and encounters rebels. The priest takes them to temple where they were shown Bharat Mata. Thus they are inspired and led rebellion which result in defeat of the British. The Manushi magazine story traces origin to a satirical work Unabimsa Purana or The Nineteenth Puranaby Bhudeb Mukhopadhyay which was first published anonymously in 1866. Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay in 1882 wrote a novel Anandamath and introduced the hymn “Vande Mātaram“, which soon became the song of the emerging freedom movement in India. As the British Raj created cartographic shape of India through the Geological Survey of India, the Indian nationalist developed it into an icon of nationalism. In 1920s, it became In the 1920s, it became more political image sometimes including images of Mahatma Gandhiand Bhagat Singh. The Tiranga flag was also started being included during this period. In 1930s, the image entered in religious practice. The Bharat Mata temple was built in Benaras in 1936 by Shiv Prashad Gupt and was inaugurated by Mahatma Gandhi. This temple does not have any statuary but only a marble relief of the map of India.
Bipin Chandra Pal elaborated its meaning in idealizing and idealist terms, along with Hindu philosophical traditions and devotional practices. It represented an archaic spiritual essence, a transcendental idea of Universe as well as expressing Universal Hinduism and nationhood.
Abanindranath Tagore portrayed Bhārat Mātā as a four-armed Hindu goddess wearing saffron-colored robes, holding the manuscripts, sheaves of rice, a mala, and a white cloth. The image of Bharatmata was an icon to create nationalist feeling in Indians during the freedom struggle. Sister Nivedita, an admirer of the painting, opined that the picture was refined and imaginative, with Bharatmata standing on green earth and blue sky behind her; feet with four lotuses, four arms meaning divine power; white halo and sincere eyes; and gifts Shiksha-Diksha-Anna-Bastra of the motherland to her children.
Indian Independence activist Subramania Bharati saw Bharat Mata as the land of Ganga. He identified Bharat Mata as Parashakti. He also says that he has got the Darśana of Bharat Mata during his visit with his guru Sister Nivedita.
In the book Everyday Nationalism: Women of the Hindu Right in India, Kalyani Devaki Menon argues that “the vision of India as Bharat Mata has profound implications for the politics of Hindu nationalism” and that the depiction of India as a Hindu goddess implies that it is not just the patriotic but also the religious duty of all Hindus to participate in the nationalist struggle to defend the nation. This association with Hinduism has caused controversy with India’s religious minorities, especially its Muslim population.
Bharat Mata temples
The Temple, a gift from the nationalists Shiv Prasad Gupta and Durga Prasad Khatri, was inaugurated by Mahatma Gandhi in 1936. Mahatma Gandhi said, “I hope this temple, which will serve as a cosmopolitan platform for people of all religions, castes, and creeds including Harijans, will go a great way in promoting religious unity, peace, and love in the country.”
The temple was founded by Swami Satyamitranand Giri on the banks of the Ganges in Haridwar. It has 8 storeys and is 180 feet tall. It was inaugurated by Indira Gandhi in 1983. Floors are dedicated to mythological legends, religious deities, freedom fighters and leaders.
The temple is located in Michael Nagar on Jessore Road, barely 2 km away from the Kolkata Airport. Here, Bharat Mata (the Mother Land) is portrayed through the image of ‘Jagattarini Durga’. This was inaugurated on October 19, 2015 (Mahashashti Day of Durga Puja that year) by Shri Keshari Nath Tripathi, the Governor of West Bengal. The initiative to build the temple, which has been named ‘Jatiya Shaktipeeth’, was taken by the Spiritual Society of India in order to mark the 140th Anniversary of ‘Vande Mataram’, the hymn to the Mother Land.
- “History lesson: How ‘Bharat Mata’ became the code word for a theocratic Hindu state”.
- Visualizing space in Banaras: images, maps, and the practice of representation, Martin Gaenszle, Jörg Gengnagel, illustrated, Otto Harrassowitz Verlag, 2006, ISBN 978-3-447-05187-3
- “Far from being eternal, Bharat Mata is only a little more than 100 years old”.
- Roche, Elizabeth (17 March 2016). “The origins of Bharat Mata”. livemint.com/. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- “A Mother’s worship: Why some Muslims find it difficult to say ‘Bharat Mata ki jai'”.
- Kinsley, David. Hindu Goddesses: Vision of the Divine Feminine in the Hindu Religious Traditions. Motilal Banarsidass, New Delhi, India. ISBN 81-208-0379-5. pp. 181-182.
- Producing India, Manu Goswami, Orient Blackswan, 2004, ISBN 978-81-7824-107-4
- Specters of Mother India: the global restructuring of an empire, Mrinalini Sinha, Zubaan, 2006, ISBN 978-81-89884-00-0
- The Goddess and the Nation: Mapping Mother India, Sumathi Ramaswamy, Duke University Press, 2010, ISBN 978-0-8223-4610-4
- “Archived copy”. Archived from the original on 2016-03-10. Retrieved 2016-03-09.
- Kalyani Devaki Menon, Everyday Nationalism: Women of the Hindu Right in India: The Ethnography of Political Violence, University of Pennsylvania Press, 2009, ISBN 978-0-8122-4196-9, p. 89f.
- “Patriotism in India: Oh mother: A nationalist slogan sends sectarian sparks”. The Economist. 9 April 2016. Retrieved 9 April2016.
- Vinay Kumar (2 October 2012). “It is Jai Hind for Army personnel”. The Hindu. Chennai, India. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- IMPORTANT TEMPLES OF VARANASI, varanasi.nic.in
- Eck, Diana L (27 March 2012), India: A Sacred Geography, Potter/TenSpeed/Harmony, pp. 100–, ISBN 978-0-385-53191-7
- Bharat Mata Temple, mapsofIndia.com
- Bharat Mata Mandir
- Media related to Bharat Mata at Wikimedia Commons
- Patriotic fervour The Hindu, August 17, 2003.
- The life and times of Bharat Mata Sadan Jha, Manushi, Issue 142.
- Bharat Mata Images Prof. Pritchett, Columbia University
- The Idea Of Bharat Mata Is Ancient And Originally Indian
About 14,30,000 results (0.34 seconds)
“Bharat Mata Ki Jai” Shanghai Full Video Song | Emraan Hashmi …
Video for bharat mata▶ 3:04
May 21, 2012 – Uploaded by T-Series
Here is the full song “Bharat mata ki Jai” from Shanghai, a Hindi political thriller Bollywood film directed by …
‘Who is Bharat Mata?’: This 3-minute video tells you how the nation …
Video for bharat mata▶
https://scroll.in › India › Hindutva State
Apr 3, 2016
The controversy over saying Bharat Mata Ki Jai, just like the controversy over love jihad or beef, will not die …
Bharat Ek Khoj 01: Bharat Mata Ki Jai – YouTube
Video for bharat mata▶ 36:25
Aug 31, 2016 – Uploaded by PublicResourceOrg
Bharat Ek Khoj—The Discovery of India A Production of Doordarshan … India’s Public Service Broadcaster …
Bharat Mata Ki Jay Deshbhakti Geet By Vind Rathod [Full Video Song …
Video for bharat mata▶ 6:50
Jan 24, 2015 – Uploaded by T-Series Bhakti Sagar
Subscribe our channel for more videos: http://www.youtube.com/tseriesbhakti Deshbhakti Song: Bharat Maa …
INDIAN ARMY ROAR – ”BHARAT MATA KI JAI” – YouTube
Video for bharat mata▶ 2:33
Dec 3, 2016 – Uploaded by ELITE FORCES
Indian army performing retreat ceremony at Wagha border, Army man & citizens are Full of enthusiasm and …
Bhagvati Bharat Mata – YouTube
Video for bharat mata▶ 5:31
Dec 11, 2011 – Uploaded by DeshBhaktiGeet
Bhagvati Bharat Mata. DeshBhaktiGeet. Loading… Unsubscribe from … Newest first. Kapil Surve1 year ago …
Bhagwati Bharat Mata.wmv – YouTube
Video for bharat mata▶ 5:32
Jan 3, 2010 – Uploaded by Abhijit Narvekar
@bhanwar04 bharat mata main mery dog ka lund. Read more. Show less. Reply 1. Cancel. Autoplay When …
The Real picture of Bharat Mata – YouTube
Video for bharat mata▶ 1:54
Mar 19, 2017 – Uploaded by Cloud 9 News
The Real picture of Bharat Mata. Cloud 9 News. Loading… Unsubscribe from Cloud 9 News? Cancel …
BHARAT MATA भारत माता HINDI | CLASS11 S FOR STUDIES …
Video for bharat mata▶ 6:44
Dec 24, 2017 – Uploaded by S FOR STUDIES
FRIENDS i hope my video will help you. SUBSCRIBE it and press bell icon to get motivational video first …
भारत माता की जय॥ – YouTube
Video for bharat mata▶ 5:05
Jan 22, 2017 – Uploaded by DSP Hacker
Friends plz like shear this video and subscribe my channel plz…. .
Stay up to date on results for bharat mata.